Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Ham Hock?


Recently I have been inspired to try to prepare at least two recipes a week from my newest cookbook, Cooking School Provence by Gui Gedda and Marie- Pierre Moine.  The cookbook has stunning pictures and a wonderful narrative which leads the reader/cook through each recipe of this book shopping, cooking and eating like a local.  So nice is the reading of this book that it has been on my bedside table for nighttime reading for at least a month.  But now is the time to try my hand at some of the easier recipes.



Tonight we feasted on Soupe Au Postou.  The recipe was perfect for the crock pot as the dried cannelloni and red beans would do wonderfully well with the slow cooking method.  I put the beans in the crock pit with suggested spices, root vegetables and water.  However there was one ingredient that I was not absolutely sure we needed, a fresh ham hock. I decided that in the name of cooking science I would prepare the recipe as close to written as feasible so I sent Laura to Spring Street Market.  Spring Street Market is a small grocery store that would surely have a ham hock.  They certainly did and am I ever glad.



The taste of this soup was amazing.  Just perfect for a chilly fall evening.  Oh my goodness. Yummy.


I understand that eating ham hock flavored soups and beans can be addictive and probably not as healthy for one's heart but once in a while and in moderation it surely can't be that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment