Thursday, October 6, 2011

Yard Work



When the weather turns cool, I am energetic about the yard.  I love to put the garden to bed for the winter.  We will rake and pile up sticks and debris left over from our garden spot.


But the best part of the clean up effort will be the bonfire that evening to burn up the remains of summer.  There will be a trip to the woods across the street from our house to gather dead limbs to ensure that our bonfire is spectacular.


Several years ago when our circle of friends included musicians our autumn bonfires always included music. Tony and Jenny Reosti would sing while Chip Stepanek and my husband played their guitars.  Tony's favorite song was 'Blue Moon of Kentucky.'  What a voice!  Beautiful.  I can still hear him sing when I close my eyes and remember those wonderful times.

A Forest Cathedral

Those friends have all moved away from Manchester and it makes our annual bonfire a little bitter sweet.  Perhaps this weekend when we light the first of many fall bonfires, I will find a recording of 'Blue Moon of Kentucky,' close my eyes and remember dear friends and good times.

1 comment:

  1. I remember those bonfire evenings with much fondness. We may not be in Manchester physically, but you always in our hearts and prayers. Try listening to Bill Monroe's version of Blue Moon. It is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete