Tuesday, February 28, 2012

I Live in the Kitchen

If someone from a alien planet, where to read the title of this entry they would naturally assume that in a house with bedrooms, bathrooms, living rooms, garage, office, and laundry room, all of which are designed to be use in context with the entire house, I instead, choose to spend my life in the kitchen.

When I say that "I live in the kitchen" I am not distressed by the statement but rather encouraged and happy to say so. My kitchen is a place that affords me the graces of creativity and refreshment.

Our kitchen is not large or grand in comparison to those showroom kitchens from magazines or homes but it is well organized, efficient, well lit with natural sunlight, functional and affords me great views across the back yard and the front yard.

Speaking of those above mentioned views. When the children were very small we bought this house while it was being built. The placement of the windows had not yet been decided. I stood in the area of the kitchen and thought carefully about where the sink and the cabinets would be placed. I imagined that I was washing up the dishes and watching the children play outside while I did so. Naturally a sink positioned so that a window could be placed above it and that window would overlook the backyard was my priority. Our kitchen table sits at the opposite end of the kitchen in front of a larger window that overlooks the front yard.

The entire kitchen is bathed in natural light. The shifting patterns of light are comforting and allow for orientation to the season, time of day, and weather patterns. But by far the most comforting feature is the window that overlooks the backyard. Though it is not filled with big wheels, swing sets, yard toys, and a sandbox anymore it still holds the memory of those days. The huge tree house remains to delight grandchildren when they visit and I am blessed that they visit often.

Kitchens are important rooms in homes. They are important not because of their decoration or fashion statement, but are instead important because of the very holy work that is accomplished within their walls, caring for our families through the creativity of cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment