Thursday, February 16, 2012

Orange Marmalade


Yesterday a customer stopped by the bakery to purchase whole wheat sourdough bread and cookies. She was traveling to Alabama to visit family and wanted to take gifts to them. She came by at the end of the day and purchased all that was left on our shelves. (Remember we are small bakery and our inventory is limited. We bake in the morning and sell what we bake throughout the day. Always call ahead to make sure we have bread available.) She told me that she needed just two more gifts as she was preparing to leave. "Well",she said as she  thought out loud, " Perhaps I can go to WalMart and purchase something quick." I couldn't bear it any longer. Though I didn't want to give up the last of our winter supply of orange marmalade, I told her I might have just the gift, Doorstep Bakery Orange Marmalade.
The girls and I made delicious jams all summer with produce purchased locally. Many times we would go to Farmer's Market on Saturday and turn our berried jewels into lucious jams by Sunday. We sold out of every jar we made. Our recipes are unique and we enjoy working with them.
When November came around and the fresh berries were long gone we turned our attentions to marmalades, cranberry conserves and dried fruit conserves. Our conserves disappeared in December as customers were gift giving and these made wonderful Christmas gifts.



The marmalades were nearly sold out as well but I had saved back two jars of our special Orange/Myer Lemon Marmalade for the family. I was waiting for a dreary day to bring out the stashed away jars.
The day we canned the marmalade the girls and I test tasted and test tasted the batch. Delicious!! I remember telling the girls "This tastes like sunshine."
A fresh boule of French Sourdough was sliced, the slices were brushed with olive oil and toasted in our black cast iron skillet. Each of us settled in at the kitchen table with warm toasted bread, green tea, and spoonfuls of marmalade for our toast. What a wonderful tea time we had that day.


Though our customer bought the last of the winter marmalade we will have more. I plan to make Blood Orange Marmalade. My husband always checks the markets in Huntsville for intesting produce. He called to tell me the price of a seasonal beauty, Blood Oranges. A Blood Orange is dark purple/red inside and the taste is quite unique. It is slightly bitter but sweet enough to be pleasant. I have never made Blood Orange Marmalade but I plan to give it a go. I will definitely save a couple of jars for the family.
Have a fresh baked day.

1 comment:

  1. I want to share a testimony on how Le_Meridian funding service helped me with loan of 2,000,000.00 USD to finance my marijuana farm project , I'm very grateful and i promised to share this legit funding company to anyone looking for way to expand his or her business project.the company is UK/USA funding company. Anyone seeking for finance support should contact them on lfdsloans@outlook.com Or lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Mr Benjamin is also on whatsapp 1-989-394-3740 to make things easy for any applicant. 

    ReplyDelete